Vice Dean and Virginia S. and Fred H. Bice Professor of LawUSC Gould School of Lawsaltman@law.usc.edu
Work: (213) 740-2544
Fax: (213) 740-5502
699 Exposition Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90089-0074 USA Room: 300
last updated Wed, Oct 26, 2011
Scott Altman is an expert in jurisprudence, property and family law. In his role as professor at USC Law, he teaches Family Law, Property, Jurisprudence and Community Property. In his capacity as associate dean, he oversees academic administration. He joined the USC Law faculty in 1988, served as associate dean from 1995 to 2006, and has served as vice dean since 2007.
Dean Altman’s recent research focuses on child custody and divorce issues. He has published articles on judicial candor, commodification, coercion, blackmail, threats to litigate child custody, and equality norms applied to child custody. His publications include “A Theory of Child Support” (International Journal of Law, Policy and the Family, 2003); “Divorcing Threats and Offers” (Law & Philosophy, 1996); and “Beyond Candor” (Michigan Law Review, 1990).
Dean Altman earned his bachelor’s degree from the University of Wisconsin, Madison, and a J.D., cum laude, from Harvard Law School, where he served as developments chair for the Harvard Law Review. He was a clerk to Judge Dorothy Nelson of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals from 1987 to 1988, and he joined the USC Law faculty as assistant professor in 1988. He was named the Virginia S. and Fred H. Bice Professor of Law in 1997.
See Dean Altman’s working papers on the Social Science Research Network http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=17336
Articles and Book Chapters
- "The Pursuit of Intimacy and Parental Rights," in The Routledge Companion to Philosophy of Law, (Andrei Marmor, ed.) (2011). - (SSRN)
- "A Theory of Child Support," 17 Int’l J.L. Pol’y & Fam. 173 (2003). - (Hein)
- "Grateful Victims" (draft)
- "Should Child Custody Rules be Fair?" 35 U. Louisville J. Fam. L. 325 (1996). - (Hein)
- "Divorcing Threats and Offers," 15 Law & Phil. 209 (1997).
- "Lurking in the Shadow," 68 So. Cal. L. Rev. 493 (1995). - (Hein)
- "A Patchwork Theory of Blackmail," 141 U. Penn. L. Rev. 1639 (1993). - (Hein)
- "(Com)Modifying Experience," 65 So. Cal. L. Rev. 293 (1991). - (Hein)
- "Beyond Candor," 89 Mich. L. Rev. 296 (1990). - (Hein)
- "Case Comment, Posadas v. Tourism Co.," 100 Harv. L. Rev. 172 (1987). - (Hein)
- "Note, The Inalienable Rights of Surrogate Mothers," 99 Harv. L. Rev. 1936 (1986). - (Hein)